wep key??

Jeff Vian jvian10 at charter.net
Mon Jan 3 19:26:12 UTC 2005

On Mon, 2005-01-03 at 13:35 -0500, Jim wrote:
> On Mon, 03 Jan 2005 12:24:21 -0600, Christopher J. Bottaro
> <cjbottaro at alumni.cs.utexas.edu> wrote:
> > Jim wrote:
> >
> > > hi after installing the drivers for my wireless  and getting it to work
> > > i want to secure the connection.  i edit the network device and insert
> > > the wep key used
> > > i can't connect to my router anymore.
> > > should i use a different encryption ( yes i know that wep isn't as
> > > secure as others but for simplicity )
> > > any help would be appreciated.
> > > i would also like to connect to this AP everytime i boot up if i go to
> > > a different AP i would like to have a script or a different script i
> > > can choose .
> > >
> > > thanks
> >
> > I'm not at my laptop, so this is from memory...
> >
> > First off, try restarting your router...=)  If that doesn't work, check your
> > wep key, it should be in /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts and it should be in
> > a file that ends with .key or something like that (<wl profile>.key).  I
> > think the file is one line:
> > KEY=<some hex number>
> >
> > The hex number shouldn't have the 0x prefix (I don't think).  The router
> > should report the key in plain hex to copy/paste.  I tried using a string
> > key, but couldn't get it to work, just using the plain hex worked for me.
> >
> > Then its just a matter of ifdown <wl profile> then ifup <wl profile>.
> >
> > --
> >

> -- if you could, please post later when you do get a chance to get
> infront of your notebook
>
> in my /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts   there is a file keys-my network
> device name
> i've looked at this file and it is the wep key i use in my router. in
> the ifcfg-network device i don't see it used  if it is not supposed to
> be there then thanks ok,  then how and where is the keys-my device
> file get called or used so that the connection can be made to the AP?
>
> Have a nice day :)
>
> James Lawrence
> Rochester NY

As you see, the key goes in the keys-iface file
in /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts and not normally in the ifcfg-iface
file.

It gets called when the device is activated. On mine I have ifcfg-wlan0
and keys-wlan0.

You can define different interfaces or different profiles when not at
your standard location and thus when that interface/profile gets
activated it will use the new information.  In one set ONBOOT=yes, in
the others set ONBOOT=no.
Now ifup or ifdown can be used to change the interface used.

You can also use a script with iwconfig to set explicitly an essid,
nickname, key, and mode (plus more) for the interface as well.  Note
that using iwconfig to set these will over-ride the settings that were
already active.

the command "iwlist scan" can tell you what APs are nearby.