booting with grub to /dev/sda

Jeff Vian jvian10 at charter.net
Mon Jan 3 20:07:27 UTC 2005

On Mon, 2005-01-03 at 12:36 -0700, Jim Cromie wrote:
> Jim Cromie wrote:
>

> > IOW - its not even seeing /dev/sda, so autocompletes right past that
> > choice.
> > ANY IDEA WHY ?
>

> solved
> writing to someone else almost always helps
> - even iff you dont send, ie wait long enough..
>
> I just added '(hd1)  /dev/sda'  to /boot/grub/device.map,
> now it shows up on the grub-console,
> testing actual boot next.

One other problem there.

Using grub (as you are) presupposes that grub is installed on the boot
disk, and that the boot device is able to tell the system to boot from
the usb device. It also implies that usb drivers have been loaded to
allow this to happen at boot time, before the OS is loaded.

If I understand your plans correctly, you want this usb drive to be able
to boot standalone.

If I am correct, you want the usb drive to be bootable with no other
devices in play, and that means BIOS must be able to boot from the usb
device.  Grub has no factor in that scenario until after the device is
accessed and the boot sector is read.