kstart --desktop not working correctly?

Charles R. Dennett dennett at rochester.rr.com
Mon Jan 3 22:21:41 UTC 2005

Hi,

I've been running RedHat9 for coming up on two years.  This past weekend
I upgraded my system to FC3.  The upgrade went well.  After the upgrade
I ran up2date and made sure I had the latest.

Under RH9 I had a script in ~/.kde/Autostart I used to start up various
windows on certain desktops.  It looked something like this:

#!/bin/bash

kstart --desktop 1 konsole -geometry 661x921-0+0 -profile MainKonsole

kstart --desktop 2 konsole -geometry 1267x449+0+0 -profile BoincKonsole

kstart --desktop 3 thunderbird

kstart --desktop 4 firefox

Pretty simple.  Well, under FC3 it works...sort of.  All four windows
start but it's a crap shoot as to which desktop each one will open in.
I tried adding "sleep 5" before each kstart command and it helped some,
but sometimes windows will open in a random desktop.  All this worked
fine under RH9.  Never had a problem with it.

I've searched the archives of this list and googled for a report of a
similar problem but have come up empty so far.  So, before I went too
much further, I figured I'd drop a note here just in case someone else
knew about this.

Perhaps the ~/.kde/Autostart is not the way to do this now.  Perhaps
kstart has been replaced with something else  (kstart --help still shows
my syntax to be correct.)

Let me know if you need more info - versions of stuff or whatever.  If
I've missed something in my searches, just point me in the right direction.

Thanks for any help.

Charlie