kstart --desktop not working correctly?

Charles R. Dennett dennett at rochester.rr.com
Tue Jan 4 00:30:19 UTC 2005

Tony Dietrich wrote:
> On Monday 03 Jan 2005 22:21, Charles R. Dennett wrote:
>
>>Hi,
>>
>>I've been running RedHat9 for coming up on two years.  This past weekend
>>I upgraded my system to FC3.  The upgrade went well.  After the upgrade
>>I ran up2date and made sure I had the latest.
>>
>>Under RH9 I had a script in ~/.kde/Autostart I used to start up various
>>windows on certain desktops.  It looked something like this:
>>
>>#!/bin/bash
>>
>>kstart --desktop 1 konsole -geometry 661x921-0+0 -profile MainKonsole
>>
>>kstart --desktop 2 konsole -geometry 1267x449+0+0 -profile BoincKonsole
>>
>>kstart --desktop 3 thunderbird
>>
>>kstart --desktop 4 firefox
>>

> Charlie
>
> You shouldn't need this at all, KDE has pretty good session management.
>
> Simply start the programs/consoles as the user(s), then log out.
>
> KDE should restart the same programs next time you log back on as that user.

Tony,

Well, that helped some.  Just to make sure I did this right, I fired up
the Control Center, went to the KDE Components section and seleced
Session Manager.  I changed it from start with an empty session to start
with a manually saved session.  Saved and exited that.  Then I arranged
the windows that I want to see at login and then clicked the Red Hat on
the taskbar and selected save session.

BTW, each konsole actually has 3 shell windows.  The one on desktop 1
all start in my home directory.  The one on desktop 2 has each shell
start in a different directory.

I then logged out and logged back in again.  The two konsole windows
came up fine.  Thunderbird and Firefox never came up.  I manually
started them, saved the session again and logged out/back in.  Same thing.

I'll keep trying.  Maybe it's the way I start TB and FF.  I do not use
the FF that came with FC3.  I already had them before I upgraded.
Installed in /usr/local with /usr/local/bin/firefox and
/usr/local/bin/thunderbird as symlinks pointing to where the executable
really is.  /usr/local/bin is in my path.  (I'm an old Sun UNIX sys
admin and that's the habit I have.)

Thanks for the help.

Charlie