what is 'cpuspeed' for?

Trevor Smith trevor at haligonian.com
Tue Jan 4 03:29:45 UTC 2005

On January 3, 2005 10:28 pm, Satish Balay wrote:
> When there is no CPU load (i.e 90% of usage) - the machine will be at
> 600MHz. The benefit of this is - lower heat dissipation & low fan
> noise.
>
> But when you start a CPU intensive job - the machine goes to 1600MHz -
> so no performance loss here.. To speed up the transition - you can use
> the following in /etc/cpuseed.conf

FWIW, I found that cpuspeed did not *ever* increase the speed of my cpu to a
satisfactory speed. It was always slow as molasses, regardless of load, etc.

I eventually found out that it was cpuspeed that was the culprit, killed it
and was immediately happy with the speed. But this left things running at
full speed *at all times* and produced lots of heat so I took someone's
advice (from this list) and downloaded "powernowd" (sorry, can't recall the
link; try google) and *it* works as advertised, unlike cpuspeed (at least on
my machine) and actually throttles the cpu speed up and down, according to
usage.

Trevor Smith | trevor at haligonian.com
public key   | http://www.haligonian.com/pgp/