what is 'cpuspeed' for?

Satish Balay balay at fastmail.fm
Tue Jan 4 04:22:36 UTC 2005

On Mon, 3 Jan 2005, Satish Balay wrote:

> On Mon, 3 Jan 2005, Dave Jones wrote:
>
> >  > 'cpuspeed' needs to support '--ignore-intermediate-frequencies' option
> >  > to speed up the transtiton between max & min speeds.
> >
> > It can't. Some implementations of speed scaling can't handle
> > huge leaps, and need to be 'stepped'. Some of the drivers do this
> > internally anyway, so even if you removed it from cpuspeed, the
> > multiple transitions would still be occuring.
>
> I guess internal multiple transitions is fine. But looks like cpuspeed
> is not taking advantage of it.
>
> Each transition is a single step (600 -> 800 -> 1000 etc..) - and each
> step occurs only ater the requisite '-i' interaval.

(to add some perspective) - I've used cpudyn on FC1 - and I liked
it. (However it doesn't work with fedora 2.6 kernels - hence using
cpuspeed)

http://mnm.uib.es/gallir/cpudyn/faq.html
The cpudyn FAQ has the following text:

7. Whay does it have just two states: powersave and performance? Why
don't you allow to specify other frequencies.

Basically because I dont need it. I just need these two states, go to
the maximum when it's needed it. Go to the minimum if it's not
needed. cpudynd is very good at reacting interactively to the CPU
load.

Satish