wep key??

jim lawrence fedorajim at gmail.com
Tue Jan 4 16:55:50 UTC 2005

On Tue, 04 Jan 2005 10:37:25 -0600, Aleksandar Milivojevic
<amilivojevic at pbl.ca> wrote:
> Jim wrote:
> > -- i looked at the ifup- device file and all greek to me
> > am i suposed to editthat file with the correct settings? or does the
> > ifcfg-device file get read into the ifup-device file?  sound
> > confusing?
> > is to me
>
> No, you are not supposed to edit ifup and ifup-wireless files.  Even if
> you do, they'd get overwritten when you upgrade initscripts package.
>
> Basically, those two files are shell scripts.  At the beggining of each
> file, there's comment section describing various settings you can place
> in ifcfg-* and other configuration files.  If you know anything about
> shell scripting, by looking in them you can see what files they will
> read for various options.  What I missed is that keys-* config files
> will also be read by them (indirectly, from network-functions script
> which is sourced somewhere at the begining of ifup).
>
> So, if your wireless device is eth0 (for example), you can place the KEY
> line in either network, ifcfg-eth0 or keys-eth0 file (keys-eth0 seems to
> be preferred location, place it there and make file readable only by
> root).  If you need to have more than one key, you can place them in
> variables KEY1, KEY2, KEY3, and KEY4 (up to four keys, limitation of the
> script), and specify with DEFAULTKEY wich one is the default key (for
> example DEFAULTKEY=3).  Check the man page for iwconfig for format of
> the KEY.  It sould be in the same format as iwconfig's key option.  Per
> man page, passphrase is not yet supported.
>
> --
> Aleksandar Milivojevic <amilivojevic at pbl.ca>    Pollard Banknote Limited
> Systems Administrator                           1499 Buffalo Place
> Tel: (204) 474-2323 ext 276                     Winnipeg, MB  R3T 1L7

i guess my problem is that i can't configure it via terminal cause i
get a command error
Ex.
[jim at localhost ~]$ iwconfig eth1 essid Wireless channel 6 mode managed
rate 11M key s:XXXXXXXXXXXXXX
bash: iwconfig: command not found
[jim at localhost ~]$

help?