Grubby error

Paul Howarth paul at city-fan.org
Tue Jan 4 19:22:47 UTC 2005

On Tue, 2005-01-04 at 18:51 +0000, Timothy Murphy wrote:
> Paul Howarth wrote:
>
> >> It doesn't really matter to me,
> >> but when I did "yum update" just now
> >> I got the following warning message when installing a new kernel:
> >> "grubby fatal error: unable to find a suitable template".
> >>
> >> What puzzles me about this is that there appears to be
> >> a perfectly good entry in /etc/grub.conf re this kernel,
> >> so I don't understand how grub could have made a fatal error.
> >>
> >> Also, I don't understand why it complains that it could not find
> >> a suitable template, since again it seems to have done
> >> exactly what it is meant to do.
> >>
> >> Here is the entry in /etc/grub.conf :
> >> ===========================================
> >> title Fedora Core (2.6.9-1.724_FC3)
> >>         root (hd0,1)
> >>         kernel /vmlinuz-2.6.9-1.724_FC3 ro root=/dev/sda5
> >>         initrd /initrd-2.6.9-1.724_FC3.img
> >> ============================================
> >
> > Was there another, similar entry, still present for the kernel you were
> > running when you did the "yum update"?
>
> I'm not sure what you mean.
> I'm actually running linux-2.6.10 (which I compiled),
> and there is an entry for that in /etc/grub:
> title Fedora Core (2.6.10)
>         root (hd0,1)
>         kernel /vmlinuz-2.6.10 ro root=/dev/sda5
>         initrd /initrd-2.6.10.img
>
> As I said, I don't understand what the "fatal error" is,
> or what "template" grub was looking for.

It's looking for a "template" grub.conf entry (e.g. the entry for your
currently running kernel) to base the one for the to-be-installed kernel
on. I don't know exactly how grubby identifies a suitable "template"
entry but one way might be to look for the entry for a currently-
installed kernel RPM and copy that one, so if your only existing kernel
wasn't installed using RPM, that *might* be the cause of the problem.

Paul.
--
Paul Howarth <paul at city-fan.org>