nvidia and xorg-x11-Mesa-libGL

Axel Thimm Axel.Thimm at ATrpms.net
Tue Jan 4 19:59:34 UTC 2005

On Tue, Jan 04, 2005 at 01:26:27PM -0600, Les Mikesell wrote:
> On Tue, 2005-01-04 at 12:46, Clive Messer wrote:
>
> > There may be dependency issues with some of the atrpms packages, but his
> > nvidia packages have always worked fine for me and are the best attempt
> > I have seen from anyone of making the closed source drivers available as
> > a rpm install.
>
> Is it different/better/worse than the package from the livna.org
> repository?

There isn't really much you can do differently in a closed source
package. The features of the ATrpms packages (some of which will
surely be in other packages, too) are

o that they don't remove any Mesa parts,
o you can have drivers for multiple differnet kernels, and each kernel
  series is updated independently
o there are several (6?) nvidia drivers available that can be
  installed concurrently. Then you can switch from driver to driver on
  runlevel 3. Different driver versions had different pros and cons
  like better GL vs better XvMC. Allowing concurrent installs users
  can test for themselves which driver suits them best.
o x86_64 support
o FC3, FC2, FC1, RH9, RH8.0 and RH7.3 support
o supports Red Hat, ATrpms and PlanetCCRMA kernels
o perhaps others I forget. Haven't touched the nvidia packages for
  quite some time ;)
--
Axel.Thimm at ATrpms.net