Postfix/Dovecot/Procmail/Maildir

Kevin Fries Kevin at hcico.com
Tue Jan 4 22:02:19 UTC 2005

We are currently running the following configuration (all installed from
RPM via apt-get):

~   - postfix-2.1.5-2.4.FC3
~   - procmail-3.22-14
~   - dovecot-0.99.11-1.1.fc3.rf

So, all our email is stored in ~/Maildir format.  Postfix and dovecot
handle this currently just fine.  But when I add:

~   mailbox_command = /usr/bin/procmail

to the /etc/postfix/main.cf file, mail seems to go into nowhere.
Checking the /var/log/maillog for procmail errors finds entries like:

~   Jan  4 14:34:53 diamond postfix/local[4646]: 18B2E100AA:
~   to=<kevin at hcico.com>, relay=local, delay=0, status=deferred
~   (Command died with signal 11: "/usr/bin/procmail -t".
~   Command output: procmail: Couldn't create "/var/mail/kevin" )

This is because mail is not stored in mbox format but instead in maildir
format in the users home directory.

I can run procmail for an individual user by removing the
mailbox_command line from the postfix configuration, and allowing the
default postfix local command to act as LDA.  Then by editing the
.forward file and adding:

~   "|/usr/bin/procmail -t"

I can then create the following .procmailrc file in my home directory:
- -----
SHELL=/bin/sh
PMDIR=$HOME/Procmail
LOGFILE=$PMDIR/pmlog
MAILDIR=$HOME/Maildir

INCLUDERC=$PMDIR/rc.subscriptions
INCLUDERC=$PMDIR/rc.spam
- -----

My rules files are then created in the ~/Procmail directory.

What I want is to configure this by the system, not user by user.  Is
there a Fedora package that is configured to run with maildirs.  The
documentation on this package says to simply set DEFAULT in the
.procmailrc file, but this does not work.  I would prefer to not compile
myself since all other software is installed from rpm.

Thanks in advance.

- --
Kevin Fries
Network Administrator