crond

Erik Hemdal ehemdal at townisp.com
Wed Jan 5 01:04:38 UTC 2005

> I've written the following script (named checkconn)
> to be executed every 5 minutes by crond:

. . .

>     `/sbin/adsl-stop`
>     `/sbin/adsl-start`

. . .

> 0,10,20,30,40,50 * * * * /root/cron/checkconn
> 5,15,25,35,45,55 * * * * /root/cron/checkconn
>

> Well, if I execute checkconn from the command line,
> it works as expected, while when checkconn is invoked
> by crond, it doesn't work...
>

> Any idea?
> j3d.

Here are a few thoughts.  Anything in /sbin is likely to need root privilege
to run.
So make sure that you use root's crontab, or place the entries in
/etc/crontab and specify
that they run as user root.  Also, since cron uses a limited path, make
certain that
/root/cron is in the path (add a PATH= line to the crontab entry).  Try man
8 crontab (IIRC) for information
on the crontab file format as opposed to the crontab command.

Hope this helps.   Erik