Installation Problems with SATA Drive

Hong Liu liuhong555 at rogers.com
Wed Jan 5 00:33:12 UTC 2005

I tried to install Red Hat Linux 9.1 and FC3 to Dell Dimension 8400 which I
purchased recently.  Both systems show the same error message "No Device
Found".  The PC has Intel Pentium 4 processor 550 (3.4 GHz) w/HT technology
and 1MB cache, Intel 925XExpress Chipset, 1 GB DDR2 SDRAM at 533 MHz, 250 GB
Serial ATA hard drive (WDC WD 2500JD-75HBB0, 7200 RPM.

Anyone can tell me if  this system is supported by FC3.  If no, what are the
major issues?  SATA hard drive or the Chipset? If yes, what are the
solutions?

By the way, I used the windows XP home edition to partition the hard drive
into 3 partitions: 170 GB as NTFS which is installed as Windows XP Home
Edition; 30 GB as  FAT32 and 30 GB as FAT32.  I also tried to boot the Linux
in Rescue mode from the CD and used FDISK to look at the partitions.
Unfortunately, the FDISK does not recognize the hard drive.

Thanks,

Hong