Palm hotsync ends prematurely

Richard S. Crawford rscrawford at mossroot.com
Wed Jan 5 03:26:54 UTC 2005

On Tuesday 04 January 2005 19:21, Andrew Robinson wrote:
> Got a new Palm Zire 31 for Christmas and I'm trying to get it to work
> with my FC3 installation. When I run pilot-xfer, the hotsync starts, but
> the Palm ends it after about 10 seconds. Does anyone know why this
> happens or how I could fix it?
>
> If I run install-user, the sync starts and ends successfully, but the
> whole install-user process only takes a few seconds. That suggests to me
> that the problem is some kind of timing issue. If I reboot the system
> into Windoze XP and hotsync with the Palm desktop, the Palm behaves
> normally, completing the hotsync even if it takes several minutes. That
> suggests that the problem is related to Linux. Before the Zire 31, I was
> successfully syncing my Palm IIIx with pilot-xfer on the serial port.

Andrew,

You don't say what you're trying to sync your Zire with.  Are you trying to
use Evolution?

Personally, I never was able to get my Clie to sync successfully with
Evolution.  After some exploration and Googling, I figured it was actually
due to the conduits and not to either FC3 or the Clie itself.  I switched
over to KPilot and Kontact, and I haven't looked back.

If you're using Evolution, check and see what kernel you're using.  I found an
obscure resource on Google which suggested using the .667 kernel and not
the .681 or later; apparently there's a bug in the kernel itself which can
cause gpilotd to crash silently, causing the HotSync to bomb.

Hope that helps.  Good luck!

--
Richard S. Crawford (mailto: rscrawford at mossroot.com)
AIM: Buffalo2K / http://www.mossroot.com