problem in mounting a device through icon from the desktop

Srinivas G. srinivasg at esntechnologies.co.in
Wed Jan 5 10:12:36 UTC 2005

Dear All,

We developed a block device driver for Flash Media Cards like SD (Secure
Digital), MMC and Memory Stick under Fedora Core 3 with 2.6.9-1.667
kernel version. It is working fine. At the same time we want to display
an icon on the user's Desktop whenever a user inserts a Flash Media Card
into a PCMCIA slot. In SuSE, we used the following Desktop Entry file in
the corresponding user's desktop directory.

[Desktop Entry]

Name=TI Flash Media Disk0

Comment=TI Flash Media Disk Drive0

Name[en_US.ISO8859-1]=TI Flash Media Disk0

Comment[en_US.ISO8859-1]=TI Flash Media Disk Drive0

Exec=konqueror

Dev=/dev/tfa0

Encoding=UTF-8

Icon=tifmdisk_mount

ReadOnly=false

Type=FSDevice

UnmountIcon=tifmdisk_unmount

X-KDE-Priority=TopLevel

Whenever user inserts a Flash Media Card we placed this *.desktop entry
file in his Desktop directory with the help of a Daemon process. Using
this method it works fine in SuSE.

I read an article regarding Desktop Entry File in the following link and
I modified the above [Desktop Entry] as

http://www.gnome.org/learn/admin-guide/latest/ch02s04.html

[Desktop Entry]

Encoding=UTF-8

Name=TI Flash Media Disk0

Comment=TI Flash Media Disk Drive0

Exec=File Browser

Dev=/dev/tfa0

Icon=tifmdisk_mount

Terminal=true

Type=link

UnmountIcon=tifmdisk_unmount

I placed this Desktop Entry File in the
/usr/share/apps/kdesktop/DesktopLinks directory.

Even though, I am unable to place an icon as soon as user inserts a
flash media card into the slot.

How can I write a Desktop Entry file in Fedora Core 3? I am using FC3
with 2.6.9-1.667 kernel version.

Where can I place this entry I mean in which directory under /usr/share?

Any idea is most welcome. Thanks in advance.

Regards,

Srinivas G