how to spoof the browser type

Nifty Hat Mitch mitch48 at sbcglobal.net
Wed Jan 5 22:03:20 UTC 2005

On Wed, Jan 05, 2005 at 09:49:30AM -0500, Felix Miata wrote:
> David Limon Romero wrote:
>
> > I've been using the extension since it was released, it works fine, but
> > unfortunately some websites designed 100% for IE doesn't work (I mean some
> > 'features' on the site), that's a kind of discrimination, people can't use
> > the browser that they want (firefox) and finally drop IE :-(
> > I hate that websites.
>
> You can help whittle down their number:
> http://www.mozilla.org/projects/tech-evangelism/

Good idea.

Interoperability, standards and multi vendor options are important.

In this case this is a gov agency function (appears contracted).
However accessibility issues and vendor bias have interesting issues
under the law.  For example if Microsoft gave the state of Florida a
discount and 'included' tools and software that are 'exclusionary' to
other vendors then some legal action may apply.

In this case it is a job board (employment).

By 'excluding' low cost of ownership software they may be excluding a
class of people that should not be discriminated against.

In addition there is a hidden requirement that Libraries and other
public access resources provide one of the two listed tools.

Since Netscape does work some of this will be dismissed as pooh..
However a lack of standards compliance cannot be dismissed.

Accessibility for the handicapped in many cases implies that
a text only view of the page present sane results.  In this case
lynx is rejected.  These pages tell me that at one level
some of their folk understand this.

   http://www.myflorida.com/myflorida/accessibility.html
   http://sto.myflorida.com/webdev/508.htm

Again, In this case it is a job board (employment).for the OP.  It
might even be that the job he is searching for would involve the folks
that have put up these pages.  For him quietly loading Netscape and
getting his application in the process may be more important that
evangelism.

Still this is a good idea.

   http://www.mozilla.org/projects/tech-evangelism/

--