fstab user root - read-write-permission

Jeff Vian jvian10 at charter.net
Wed Jan 5 22:57:46 UTC 2005

On Wed, 2005-01-05 at 23:13 +0100, Falko Jeske wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> i know, i ask a lot, but i am just a newbee.
>
> The problem now:
>
> I have two fat32 partitions. There are mounted via fstab. Only the root
> can read an write. I would like to give me (as no root  - account) the
> right for read and write (that means for all operations) for all folders
> in the mounted fat32-partitions. How?
>
> Thanks

There are a couple of options.

If you are the only user, then:
   in the fstab entry for those partitions add the options
"UID=XXX,GID=YYY"  where XXX and YYY are your user id and group id.
This will always mount the partition with you as the owner and group.

If you are not the only user and want each user to have the same access
then:
   1) In the fstab entry add the options "user", and "noauto".
   2) In the users login script (.bash_profile or equivalent) add a line
that mounts the partitions for that user, and in the logout script
(.bash_logout) put another line that unmounts the same partitions.
   This should make it so that each user can access the fat32 partitions
whenever they log in. It does, however, mean that only one user can
access it at a time.

I have not tried it, but it would seem that having the mount point set
at mode 777 may give access as well.

HTH, and man fstab for more options.