dcopserver program?

Tony Dietrich td at transoft.demon.co.uk
Wed Jan 5 23:56:48 UTC 2005

On Wednesday 05 Jan 2005 02:00, Marc M wrote:
> I got this when trying to open a terminal window.  Not sure what it
> really means though.  I wasn't doing any network stuff.  Is dcopserver
> a daemon?  I didn't see it with the ps command.  Any info is
> appreciated.    Thanks, Marc

>********* There was an error setting up inter-process communications for
> KDE. The message returned by the system was:
> Could not open network socket
>
> Please check that 'dcopserver' program is running!

DCOPServer is an inter-process communications server used by KDE.  It allows
programs to exchange sytem messages such as "Are you running, if so open a
new window/tab with this document please".

This error message is sometimes seen when there are permission problems with
respect to the directories where the different programs/processes write their
authorisation data.  Or it could have just been that at that time the DCOP
server on your system was locked by another program.  Can you reproduce the
symptom?
--
Tony Dietrich

It was wonderful to find America, but it would have been more wonderful to
miss
it.