HP656C printing blank pages

david walcroft david_walcroft at yahoo.com.au
Thu Jan 6 00:04:26 UTC 2005

John and Grace Lew wrote:

>Thanks David,
>Well, this time I got stuck at step 3. See my trace
>below. I looked for syslog files, and only found 1
>which was updated today, and it was empty! Any ideas?
>ptal-init reports that it is for OfficeJet, yet mine's
>a DeskJet - is this a problem?
>Thanks, John.
>----
>
>[root at localhost /]# usr/sbin/ptal-init setup
>
>Stopping the HP OfficeJet Linux driver.

>This program manages devices controlled by the HP
>OfficeJet Linux
>driver (hpoj).  It attempts to probe your computer for
>local parallel-
>and USB-connected devices, and allows you to specify
>network addresses
>for remote JetDirect-connected devices.
>
>If you experience any difficulties in detecting your
>device(s), then
>refer to the hpoj documentation for troubleshooting
>information.

>Currently defined device names ([*]=default):
>    (none)

>Probe for parallel-connected devices ([y]/n)?  n

>Probe for USB-connected devices ([y]/n)?  y
>
>Probing "/dev/usb/lp0"...
>    *** Found "DESKJET 656C" but failed to communicate
>with it!
>    *** Elapsed time for this attempt was 6 second(s).
>    *** Check syslog file for ptal-mlcd error
>messages.
>    *** See hpoj documentation for troubleshooting
>information.

John,
        OK, well you'll find syslog (system logging script) for most
events in
'/var/log/' ,for the above type logs i:e kernel,boot,hardware events are in
'messages'. I haven't come across that error before so I can only suggest
trying these, as root in a terminal run 'tail -f /var/log/messages' this
gives you realtime
logging,disconnect the usb cable, at this you'll see the kernel remove
it from the system,
then reinstall the usb cable and see the log for any errors,then ^C
[control C] to exit.
  Is there a kernel upgrade available [latest is 2.6.9-1.724_FC3]
 What does "ls -l /dev/usb/lp0" say [with printer on] mine is
  "crw-rw----  1 root lp 180, 0 Jan  6 09:40 /dev/usb/lp0"
Put this url in your browser
"file:///usr/share/doc/hpoj-0.91/index.html" if your hpoj -ver
is different please adjust,this doc will help more than I can now.

     david