Complaints about using this list...

Marc M linuxr at gmail.com
Thu Jan 6 00:32:14 UTC 2005

On Wed, 05 Jan 2005 17:25:27 -0700, Kim Lux <lux at diesel-research.com> wrote:
> I've got a couple complaints about using this list.  I'm looking for
> suggestions to improve my experience with it.
>
> a) I can't seem to get searches to find topics that I know are in the
> lists.  I don't have an example off the top of my head, but it would
> save me a ton of time if I could do a good advanced search on these
> archives, something like being able to specify multiple keywords in the
> subject or in the body, that sort of thing.
>
> b) I get the list summary, but it isn't convenient to reply to the posts
> like that.  I can't reply on the list website itself and I don't want to
> get the list posts as individual emails because the volume is too high.
>
> I find reply to posts from the list summary to be slow because you have
> to manually edit the subject and if you don't get it right you've just
> created a new topic.  I think I wish that this list (and others) were a
> regular usenet newsgroup, but I understand that would have some
> drawbacks too.
>
> How is everyone else working with this list ?
>
> I'm beginning to think that I should configure evolution to sort my
> emails into topics and get the whole list as individual posts.  I could
> then search them from within evolution and I could easily reply to
> them.
>
> --
> Kim Lux,  Diesel Research Inc.
>
> --

Simple solution to a):  get a gmail account for your lists, they are
wonderful for being able to search within for strings and such.
Probably not what you wanted to hear, but ever since I filled up a
partition with list emails when using evolution (which apparrently
hadn't 'evolved' enough at that point), I have gotten away from using
email clients unless I really have to.  Personal preference here.

b)  The other problem is the reason I subscribe individually to all
lists and just discard lots of messages.  With digests, you are
reading every message, every time.

Marc