Floppy mounting

Temlakos temlakos at gmail.com
Wed Jan 5 13:44:59 UTC 2005

Everyone:

How do you mount a floppy in FC3?

In FC1 or 2, you inserted a floppy into the drive and then used the Disk
Management Tool to mount and unmount them. (Or you issued the mount
command in a terminal window, specifying a mount point like
"/mnt/floppy".)

In FC3, as far as I've determined, any USB device will now mount itself
automatically, same as a CD or DVD does. (I haven't tested simply
jerking out the USB plug to see whether that's safe or not--is it?) But
my floppy drive won't detect the disk in the drive--and Disk Management
tell me that "there are no file systems that you are allowed to mount or
unmount; contact your system administrator." I haven't yet tried to
stick in a floppy disk when logged in as "root," but--hey, come on!--if
someone has to log in as "root" just to use a floppy disk, that's a real
step backward from prior releases, don't you think?

The "Removable Storage" preferences dialog has an icon of a floppy disk
drive, where it discusses the checkoffs for automatically mounting
removable media when I insert it.

What's happening? Do modern floppy disk drives automatically detect
freshly inserted media while old-style IDE FDD's don't? Or do I need to
get a USB FDD in order to take advantage of the new automatic mounting
of FDD's?
--
Temlakos <temlakos at gmail.com>