HP notebook wireless networking

Rich Renomeron renomero at toad.net
Thu Jan 6 04:05:50 UTC 2005

James Mounts wrote:

>Neal D. Becker wrote:
>

>>I'm about to order a hp amd64 notebook zv5000z series.  There are 2 choices
>>for wireless, but not much info on what the chipsets are.  Anyone know if
>>there is any problem with FC3 on this machine?
>>
>>Networking choices are:
>>
>>1) 54g(TM) 802.11b/g WLAN w/ 125HSM/SpeedBooster(TM)
>>2) 54g(TM) Integ. Broadcom 802.11b/g WLAN & Bluetooth
>>
>Neal: I'd vote against the Broadcom board. Broadcom refuses to create a
>Linux driver, so you're stuck with ndiswrapper to get it to go.
>[...]
>The SpeedBooster sounds like a Linksys card.

Actually, they're both Broadcom. They use "54g" as a kind of brand name
(hence the (TM)). Their web site is http://www.54g.com.

My hp zv5xxx probably has option 2.   I  had trouble with ndiswrapper,
so I went and forked over the cash for the Linuxant driver, and it works
pretty well with both 802.11b and 802.11g, and both WEP and WPA.  I have
an Intel processor, though, so your story may end up differently.

Rich

--
 From the Notebook of Rich Renomeron
 A friend is someone who likes you even after they know you.