IP Address blocking

Thomas Zehetbauer thomasz at hostmaster.org
Thu Jan 6 12:30:16 UTC 2005

On Wed, 2005-01-05 at 21:53 -0500, Chris Ruprecht wrote:
> Every other morning, I read the system logs from the day before and
> there are a number of break in attempts (usually 59) to root and a few
> to a slew to other accounts.

Same here, I guess you use IRC, don't you? Attack rate somewhat dropped
here after I started sending complaints to the offending IP's provider.

> I would like to know if there is any program in existence that detects
> these attempts and blocks the IP address from sending anything my way
> ever again.

Blindly blocking these IPs is probably not a good idea as this can be
easily used as a denial of service attack by sending spoofed packets.

Tom

--
  T h o m a s   Z e h e t b a u e r   ( TZ251 )
  PGP encrypted mail preferred - KeyID 96FFCB89

UNIX is user-friendly ... it's just selective about who it's friends are