How do you know?

Steve Fink stevef at netvantix.com
Thu Jan 6 14:39:25 UTC 2005

-----Original Message-----
From: "Maciej R." <m.mail at vp.pl>
To: Fedora <fedora-list at redhat.com>
Date: Thu, 06 Jan 2005 15:12:06 +0100
Subject: How do you know?

> Hello out there,
>
> I wanted to ask why you are using 'Fedora' and not for example 'Suse'
> or
> 'Debian'? What is the reason for choosing 'Fedora'? If you had a choice
> between 'Suse 9.2 Professional - DVD Edition' and 'Fedora Core 3 on
> DVD'
> what would you do?
>
> --
> Maciej R. <m.mail at vp.pl>
>
> --

Maciej,

Pretty much everyone here has made the choice to use Fedora over the other
distro's for one reason or another.

I used to run SuSE on all my servers (1997-2000) and Red Hat on my
desktop.  At that time Red Hat's concentration on the gui made Red Hat a
far superior product for desktops/workstations and SuSE's concentration on
the server side tools made it the best choice for servers.

Then came an ill fated day when I build two brand new DNS servers on SuSE
7.0 Professional, I could not keep the DNS process running to save my
life.  Sometimes DNS would run for days and sometimes it would run for
five minutes but it would eventually crash but the process would still be
listed and shown as running but not taking any requests.  After several
SuSE re-installs and alot of hair pulling I finally out of sheer
frustration grabbed a copy of Red Hat 7.0 or 7.1 and installed and setup
DNS and it worked perfectly, those two machines are still running today.

That was the day I stopped using SuSE and converted everything to Red Hat.
 I have since tested SuSE products again but they never quite "feel" right
and I'm not happy with everything being all "YaST'd" up and such.  I've
tested Novell's nEnterprise Linux Services on both SuSE 9.0 and RHEL 2.1
they both performed equally so I went with what I know RHEL.

Since Red Hat's decision to concentrate on RHEL I've run my servers on
RHEL 2.1 and 3.

For my desktop I've run Fedora since Core 1 and been very happy with the
results.  As an IT professional I live and die by my Laptop and it runs
Fedora Core 3 right now.

Make no mistake!  Fedora Core is bleeding edge software and sometimes you
have to bleed to live on the edge.  Make regular backups, don't do
upgrades and HAVE LOTS OF FUN!

Best,

Steve