How do you know?

Richard S. Crawford rscrawford at mossroot.com
Thu Jan 6 14:53:50 UTC 2005

On Thursday 06 January 2005 06:12, Maciej R. wrote:
> Hello out there,
>
> I wanted to ask why you are using 'Fedora' and not for example 'Suse' or
> 'Debian'? What is the reason for choosing 'Fedora'? If you had a choice
> between 'Suse 9.2 Professional - DVD Edition' and 'Fedora Core 3 on DVD'
> what would you do?

When I started using Linux regularly back in 2000, I was using Red Hat 7.1.
I've pretty much stuck with Red Hat since, which is why I've got FC3 on my
desktop now.  I do have a server running RH8, which I haven't upgraded
because it's stable and reliable; and I have another one running Debian
Woody, which is stable enough for the job that computer is doing (hanging on
to one file and serving it up over a Samba connection and that's it).

When Novell acquired Ximian and then SuSE, I was very excited about trying
that out, so when 9.1 Professional became available, I plopped down the $80
and installed it on a test hard drive I keep around just for testing
purposes.  After a week of fussing, I could never get it to talk to my
network card, nor would it see the USB hub.  I've had problems with the SMP
version of the 2.6 kernel on my computer, so I stick with the standard
kernel, but with SuSE 9.1 Pro, I wasn't given that option.  The installation
came with free 30-day technical support, but they were pretty much useless,
and I didn't find much help in the SuSE user forums.  So I ditched SuSE and
put FC1 on my computer, and haven't looked back.

I'll probably try Gentoo for the next box I build, since I've heard really
good things about it.

--
Richard S. Crawford (mailto: rscrawford at mossroot.com)
AIM: Buffalo2K / http://www.mossroot.com