file owner 1058???

Richard S. Crawford rscrawford at mossroot.com
Thu Jan 6 16:30:34 UTC 2005

jim lawrence said:
> On Thu, 6 Jan 2005 08:18:15 -0800 (PST), Richard S. Crawford
> <rscrawford at mossroot.com> wrote:
>> jim lawrence said:
>> > i have some files in my trash i would like to delete but they are
>> owned by "1058"
>> > any ideas?
>>
>> $ grep 1058 /etc/passwd
>>
>> should tell you who that is.
>>

> returns nothing

Stuart says that these sound like files that belonged to a user who no
longer exists on your system.  I've also seen this happen in systems where
I've got a user connecting to a system via Samba or NFS who did not have
an actual account on the host system.  Is this computer part of a network
where other computers can access its contents?  If so, is there a user
with userid 1058 on one of those other systems?

Either way, I'd say it's *probably* safe to delete those files, though you
might want to make sure they're not being used by any other process.

--
Sláinte,
Richard S. Crawford (AIM: Buffalo2K)