file owner 1058???

Richard S. Crawford rscrawford at mossroot.com
Thu Jan 6 16:43:09 UTC 2005

jim lawrence said:
>> with userid 1058 on one of those other systems?
>>
>  Either way, I'd say it's *probably* safe to delete those files, though
> you might want to make sure they're not being used by any other
> process.
>

> -- cant delete them from my user account  or from Root's account

I don't know what desktop environment you're using, but I assume you're
using GNOME.  I don't know how it works for KDE, even though that's the
environment I use these days (I was a GNOME guy for a couple of years).

Log in as yourself.

Open a shell.

$ su
password: xxxxxx
# cd .Trash-jimf  (assuming your user name is jimf)
# ls -la

This should list the files in your trash directory that you didn't see
when you logged in as root at the login screen.  You should then be able
to do:

# rm *

to delete those files.  Though before doing that, I'd do a pwd, just to
make sure you're in the right directory.

As to how those files got into your trash folder in the first place when
they have a userid totally different from your own user account, I can't
explain that.

--
Sláinte,
Richard S. Crawford (AIM: Buffalo2K)