Video-Streaming-Server

Guy Fraser guy at incentre.net
Thu Jan 6 21:04:46 UTC 2005

On Thu, 2005-06-01 at 14:44 -0600, Les Mikesell wrote:
> On Thu, 2005-01-06 at 14:36, Ferguson, Michael wrote:
> > Can I butt in with a question here?
> >
> > Let's say I have Cable-TV (which I don't) can I use this software to
> > take the cable feed and pass it back out onto my LAN so users can view
> > it on their workstations?
>
> Yes, but I'm not sure what tuner cards are compatible with what
> platform/versions.  You can either pass the capture output through
> in real time to a multicast or unicast feed or capture to files
> and replay those later - or capture the files to a shared location
> that vlc can access directly instead of using the client/server
> function.
>

>From the documentation on the videolan homepage, v4l devices and
Hauppauge PVR 250/350 {Using H/W mpeg2} are supported.

I have an AverMedia PCI 350 and it is supported in FC3 by v4l. I
just bought a Hauppauge PVR 250, but have not installed it yet.

One thing I haven't seemed to figure out yet is when setting
up "channels" on VLC it asks for the destination IP address.
Maybe I am just confused but I am used to having the client
connect to the server to get things, rather than as it would
seem the server must push the content to the client. Am I
brain dead or is that what it is doing.

--
Guy Fraser
Network Administrator