SATA Dual boot problems

Willis, Jordan D Jordan_Willis at baylor.edu
Thu Jan 6 21:33:23 UTC 2005

I am attempting to run a system with both Windows XP Pro and Fedora 3.  I currently have 2 80GB SATA hardrives.  I have tried installing Windows XP on the primary disk and then installing Fedora 3 on the secondary disk and I only get problems.

When I first install Windows the system boot just fine.  Then I install Fedora 3 and the installation proceeds just fine.  I tell it the use the second SATA drive (hdb) and configure GRUB to boot Windows XP by default.  Then when the installation finishes and I restart, I get an "Error loading operating system" and my machine will not load Windows XP or Fedora 3.

I tried putting my Windows XP Cd and doing a windows repair.  When this happens and the machine is rebooted GRUB loads just fine and I can choose both Fedora and Windows.  But once I finish the repair process (which basically just reinstalls windows) I get the same error on restart.  I know that dual booting can work because for a few weeks I only had one drive and had both Fedora and Windows XP on it, and used GRUB as my boot loader.

I have searched all over the place and I can't seems to find any solutions.

Thanks,

Jordan Willis
(210) 834-4627