Video-Streaming-Server

Les Mikesell les at futuresource.com
Thu Jan 6 22:14:36 UTC 2005

On Thu, 2005-01-06 at 15:00, Ferguson, Michael wrote:

> I was not thinking of using tuner cards on the workstations. I was
> thinking of something much simpler.
> Each workstation would simply get the one channel that the server is
> tuned to at that particular moment.

Yes - for that you just generate a multicast stream and any workstation
on the LAN that runs vlc set to read that multicast address can view
it.

> Are you saying that if the workstations all had tuner card on them they
> could tune to any channell?

No, but you could have several machines with tuners feeding different
channels on different multicast addresses. Or one feed can play to
only one address instead of multicasting. Or you could capture
shows to files and replay them on demand.

> All that video flowing on the LAN??? Bandwidth problems?? No?

It adds up quickly.

--
  Les Mikesell
   les at futuresource.com