FC3 as a printserver

bengt.lindholm at salnet.fi bengt.lindholm at salnet.fi
Thu Jan 6 23:06:11 UTC 2005

I am trying to get my FC3-box to print jobs sent from a RH9-box.

FC3 printer configuration: Queue name office, queue type locally-connected lp0, driver raw; Sharing properties LPD protocol enabled, queue is allowed to all hosts.

RH9 printer configuration done by editing printcap.local:
office:\
:rm=192.168.2.31:\  (and yes, the IP is OK)
:rp=office:\
:sh=:\
:mx=0:\
:mc=0:\
:ml=0:\
:sd=/var/spool/lpd/office:\
:if=/usr/local/bin/printerfilter:
There are the necessary lines in /etc/printerfilter.conf: Printer office, Charset IBM437, Model oliprinter, Staircase y. There have been no alterations with this sending RH9-box.

Everything worked fine as long as the receiving FC3 box was still a RH9-box, but after installing FC3 (from cratch, firewall on and SELinux active) printing stopped. RH9 and FC3 pings each other, the boxes are in the same lan and network segment. What to do??

Bengt