ATrpms Real Issues

Temlakos temlakos at gmail.com
Thu Jan 6 22:40:51 UTC 2005

On Thu, 6 Jan 2005 21:11:28 +0100, Axel Thimm <Axel.Thimm at atrpms.net> wrote:
> On Thu, Jan 06, 2005 at 12:14:03PM -0500, Temlakos wrote:
> > On Thu, 2005-01-06 at 17:28 +0100, Axel Thimm wrote:
> > OK, I just enabled at-stable. And immediately it wants to remove
> > libpostproc (the video processing library for mplayer) and rpmlibs, in
> > order to upgrade mplayer (and family) and apt, respectively. What's
> > going on here?
>
> It shouldn't remove, but replace them with ffmpeg and librpm43, right?
>
> libpostproc moved from mplayer to ffmpeg (rather at the same time
> mplayer started hosting ffmpeg's CVS), so effectively ffmpeg swallowed
> libpostproc, and %{_libdir}/libpostproc* belong to ffmpeg now.
>
> Wrt to rpm-libs: ATrpms provides rpm upgrades for older Red Hat/Fedora
> Core releases since a couple of years. In order to not break
> dependencies librpmXX packages are created (like to ones Red Hat
> itself created some time ago). rpm-libs itself is missing the version
> info in comparison to prior rpm releases, and will also be removed in
> the near future:
>
> https://lists.dulug.duke.edu/pipermail/rpm-devel/2004-September/000068.html
>
> But these topics are probably more relevant for ATrpms-users, I guess :)
> --
> Axel.Thimm at ATrpms.net

Thanks for clarifying.

It took several tries, but now I'm using at-stable, dag, dries, and
freshrpms. (I abandoned newrpms, as that's a testing repo itself, as
its keeper freely admits.) The new libraries for mplayer work fine--I
tested mplayer against a wide variety of videos (after grabbing the bz
tarball containing the codecs!), and it played them flawlessly. I also
have yum configured to use your repo. (When are you going to write
appropriate lines for up2date? Or do you not want to risk that now?)

Temlakos