Configure Wireless with WEP

Roger Grosswiler roger at gwch.net
Fri Jan 7 11:55:45 UTC 2005

jim lawrence schrieb:
> I've tried this post, linuxquestions.org, fedoraforum.org  and google
> as well  i can;t seem to find anyone who has thier wireless configured
> ifup cmd gets me an IP address but i can't ping anyone or my router.
> if i configure to broadcast with NO WEP or any key, i can connect
> fine.
> if I change my settings in both Fedora & my Router I can't connect.  I
> get a "Set bite Rate not supported error and it tells me to check the
> cable.  This is really starting to piss me!!!!
> I'm using the ipw2200 drivers 0.19-19  the driver seems to be ok cause
> I can connect with out all the security stuff. if I don't broadcast my
> SSID, I can't connect either
> so here it is...
> Broadcast SSID, No Security = Connection
> NO Broadcast SSID, No Security = No Connection
> Broadcast SSID, WEP Security = NO Connection
> NO Broadcast SSID, WEP Security = NO Connection
> iIve read the iwconfig man page followed the instructions
> I even we nt as far as  coping the ifcfg-eth1 text file into another
> edited it by adding the KEY
> field to it put it back into /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ and
> reboot,  I get the   "Set bite Rate not supported error and it tells
> me to check the cable  on boot.
> my notebook is dual booted with winXP PRO  no problem there  BUTif you
> read below it will tell you why i don't want to you it.

Hello Jim,

i don't know exactly the ipw-driver, i use ndiswrapper with my
d-link-card. I had the same issue, like you.

So, i installed the wpa-supplicant from here:
http://hostap.epitest.fi/wpa_supplicant/

i configured both - my router and my notebook on wpa - this did work
fine. When i used WEP, i never brought it up und running. Now, with WPA
this works also without broadcasting SSID.

HTH
Roger