ipw2200 answers and questions

Roman Maeder maeder+rh at mathconsult.ch
Fri Jan 7 13:12:45 UTC 2005

first, a success story:

I installed FC3 on a new Asus 68Ne and then got the latest ipw2200 (v 0.19)
from ipw2200.sourceforge.net. Setting it up was as easy is "make install".
After updating my system to kernel 2.6.9-1.724_FC3 it stopped working. I
found out that the new kernel already contains the ipw2200 driver, but an
older version 0.13 that needed a different firmware, which was not
included.

In one network profile I defined (the info in
http://www.redhat.com/docs/manuals/enterprise/RHEL-3-Manual/sysadmin-guide/s1-network-profiles.html
is very useful and profiles "just work") I set the eth1 wireless interface
to not be configured at boot time, but it nevertheless tried to set it up.
I seems I also need
HOTPLUG=no
in ifcfg-eth1. Now it is left alone when I power up the machine.

Now my questions: to make use of the wifi button and LED of the Asus, what
are the best ways to
- add my own stuff to be run at ifup/ifdown? ifup calls ifup-post, which
looks for /sbin/ifup-local, which does not exist. Is this the place for my
hacks?
- find out whether in iterface is up or down (to implement a toggle), and
how do I check in a script whether it has associated itself to an access
point?

Roman Maeder
--
The most aptly named computer book: "Windows for Dummies"