how do I copy from server to server

Matthew Crocker matthew at crocker.com
Fri Jan 7 16:01:15 UTC 2005

If you need to copy a bunch of stuff *and* keep your permissions you
can do something like

tar czf - /files/I/want/to/back/up/* | ssh -l root -c "(cd
/new/location/for/files && tar -xf - )"

Basically you are creating a tar file and outputting it to STDOUT which
is piped to STDIN of an ssh session which sends it to STDIN of a tar
process running on the other machine.

-Matt