exporting display

James Pifer jep at obrien-pifer.com
Fri Jan 7 18:21:35 UTC 2005

Hi all. I have a client/server application that is "supported" on Redhat
7.2 and 7.3. I've tried running it on Redhat 9 and FC2, and although it
runs, it seg faults constantly.

So I'm trying to run it on the server running 7.3 and export the display
to my FC2 machine. It seems like it should be fairly easy to accomplish
based on searching with google, but I can't get it to work. Here's what
I'm trying to do, if anyone can tell me what I'm doing wrong I'd
appreciate it.

Client is where I want to export the app.
Server is the 7.3 machine I want to run it from.

On Client #xhost +server.domain.com
On Client #rlogin server.domain.com
On Server (through rlogin) #export DISPLAY=client.domain.com
On Server (through rlogin)  #gedit

I get:
Gtk-WARNING **:cannot open display: client.domain.com:0

I'm guessing I'm missing something simple. I know it isn't wise, but I'm
trying to do this as root, in case that matters.

Thanks,
James