FC3 as a printserver

Kevin Fries Kevin at hcico.com
Fri Jan 7 19:12:58 UTC 2005

Kevin Fries wrote:
| david walcroft wrote:
|
| | Kevin Fries wrote:
| I am at home right now, where I do not have the client server setup,
| but will try best I can to help.

OK, in the office now.

I looked at the /etc/cups/cupsd.conf on both my FC2 Server and my FC3
desktop.

What I dinked with was the Browsing options.  The old default behavior
was to turn all this on by default.  For whatever reason in Fedora it is
shut off.  The comments will reflect that leaving alone will allow it to
work.  They are wrong due to Fedora's "Fixing".

On the server, my Browsing sections looks as such (minus comments):
Browsing On
BrowseProtocols cups
BrowseAddress @LOCAL
BrowseShortNames Yes
BrowseAllow 192.168.0.0/24
BrowseInterval 30
BrowsePort 631

On the client, by Browsing sections looks as such (minus comments):
BrowseShortNames Yes
BrowseInterval 30
BrowsePoll 192.168.0.22:631
BrowsePort 631
BrowseTimeout 300

I then used the Fedora Tools (clicked on the K, System Settings,
Printing, supplied root password) on the client.  If nothing is
otherwise defined, it will state "Browsed Queues".  Expanding this
option will shows all the queues from the CUPS server.  If I add a
printer to the server without limiting its accessibility, the printer
will appear automatically in the list of Browsed Queues.

In addition, all the browsed queues automatically appear in my
applications such as Thunderbird, Open Office, etc.

Like I said, once set up, it is child's play.  Fedora just makes it
harder than it needs to be by turning the broadcasting off.

- --
Kevin Fries
Network Administrator
Hydrologic Consultants, Inc of Colorado