FC3 as a printserver

Kevin Fries Kevin at hcico.com
Fri Jan 7 19:18:54 UTC 2005

bengt.lindholm at salnet.fi wrote:
| |>  | |FC3 printer configuration: Queue name office, queue type
| |> locally-connected lp0, driver raw; Sharing properties LPD
| |> protocol enabled, queue is allowed to all hosts. | |RH9 printer
| |> configuration done by editing printcap.local: |office:\
| |> in /etc/printerfilter.conf: Printer office, Charset IBM437, Model
| |> oliprinter, Staircase y. There have been no alterations with this
| |> sending RH9-box. | |Everything worked fine as long as the
| |> receiving FC3 box was still a RH9-box, but after installing FC3
| |> (from cratch, firewall on and SELinux active) printing stopped.
| |> RH9 and FC3 pings each other, the boxes are in the same lan and
| |> network segment. What to do??
| |>
| |> Wow!  Doing things the hard way are we?
| |>

| The problem is, that I can not use cups on the sending RH9-box. CUPS
is installed on the FC3-box and runs as a server for the RH9-box. What
is the idea with cups if it is able only to communicate with an other
cups-box??? Why is it the only printerdaemon FC3 has??? (Well, those
questions did not help very much)

| So I have to try SAMBA. How do I set up the FC3-server side including
cups-editing (all necessary), samba-server and firewall-editing?

| Bengt

I used to run CUPS on RH7.2, so not sure what your issues are.

CUPS is actually a server for IPP like Apache is a server for HTTP.
There is nothing special about it, or even proprietary.  As a matter of
fact, for all my printers that can use postscript (like my Laser jet
5100), my Windows 2000 machines bypass SMB printing, and connect
directly to the CUPS services.  Just tell Windows to connect to the
printer on IP <my server> port 631 queue <printers queue> and Windows
will happily print to that server.

Therefore, I am unsure I understand your comments.  CUPS is industry
standard.

- --
Kevin Fries
Network Administrator