Installing Linux!

Aleksandar Milivojevic amilivojevic at pbl.ca
Fri Jan 7 19:14:46 UTC 2005

Justin Crabtree wrote:
> Sounds like the CD-ROM is not picking up the disc as bootable.  Have you
> checked the BIOS to make sure that booting to CD is enabled?  If so,
> check the disc in another machine.  If it doesn't boot, you probably
> have bad discs.  The md5sum is to verify the files aren't corrupted.
> Check the archives for info on burning discs and checking them.

Another common error that I saw people doing from time to time is when
they burn ISO images as files (instead as image).  This is most common
mistake when somebody complains that CD won't boot (second most common
is booting from CD disabled in BIOS, as you mentioned).

When CD is placed into CD drive (under Windows, for example), what do
you see?  Do you see single file (FC3-i386-SRPMS-disc1.iso), or do you
see directory structure?  If former, image was burned as file (it won't
work, and the CD is unusalbe, except as coaster or frizbie).  If later,
CD was burned correctly and it should be bootable.