exporting display

Les Mikesell les at futuresource.com
Fri Jan 7 21:13:40 UTC 2005

On Fri, 2005-01-07 at 13:08, James Pifer wrote:

> As a normal user on both machines I get the exact same behavior. In
> response to the other post, I only left out the :0 when I typed it. In
> the commands I was actually using it.
>
> Any other suggestions? I don't see anything in Xorg.0.log. Maybe I
> should install and run ethereal and make sure it's even trying?

Why not let ssh's magic X forwarding do the work?
>From Client:
 ssh -X user at server
 ..log in..
 $gedit  (or any X program)

A window should open on Client with gedit running on Server.

The -X option is the default for most versions of ssh so you may not
need to type it but it shouldn't hurt anyway.  Ssh does some contortions
to make the $DISPLAY look like an alternate local screen to the program
and tunnels it over the encrypted ssh connections to your local end.

--
  Les Mikesell
   les at futuresource.com