Installing Linux!

Kam Leo kam.leo at gmail.com
Fri Jan 7 17:56:17 UTC 2005

On Fri, 7 Jan 2005 09:59:10 -0500, Charles E Taylor IV
<tomalek at mindspring.com> wrote:
> On Fri, 07 Jan 2005 14:36:14 +0000
> Paul Howarth <paul at city-fan.org> wrote:
>
> > xfce *might* be usable on such a machine. Don't know though, haven't
> > tried it.
>
> *Gnome* was usuable on such a machine with Fedora Core 1, provided you
> killed off Resourcehogilus, er, Nautilus.  Haven't tried putting
> Fedora Core 3 on it, because I don't use it very much anymore.  XFCE
> should be fine. (My old laptop - Thinkpad 380XD, 96MB RAM).
>
> --

FC1 works on my P2-133 with 96 MB RAM.  I upgraded to FC3 and it also
works.  GUI works.  It's just slower. Only drawback with such old
machines is that Fedora Core no longer enables the OSS drivers for old
ISA sound cards.  You need to recompile the kernel to get that
functionality back.