exporting display

David L Norris dave at webaugur.com
Fri Jan 7 21:50:02 UTC 2005

On Fri, 2005-01-07 at 15:13 -0600, Les Mikesell wrote:
> On Fri, 2005-01-07 at 13:08, James Pifer wrote:
> > Any other suggestions? I don't see anything in Xorg.0.log. Maybe I
> > should install and run ethereal and make sure it's even trying?
>
> Why not let ssh's magic X forwarding do the work?
> >From Client:
>  ssh -X user at server
>  ..log in..
>  $gedit  (or any X program)

Also, one can skip the login shell entirely and execute the program with
a command line such as:
  ssh -X user at server gedit

Setup a SSH key and GNOME will display a graphical prompt for the
passphrase if there is one.  And in FC3 the GNOME keyring can remember
the passphrase.

--
 David Norris
  http://www.webaugur.com/dave/