nsswitch.conf

Scot L. Harris webid at cfl.rr.com
Sat Jan 8 01:37:11 UTC 2005

On Fri, 2005-01-07 at 20:02, Robert wrote:
> I recently installed Fedora core 3 and I'm having a problem with
> nsswitch.conf, it doesn't support wins on the hosts: line.  Is there any
> way to get it?

wins is something that is really specific to Microsoft type systems.
For linux or unix type systems you use DNS, host files, NIS+ to do name
to IP address translations.

While you can configure samba on linux to provide wins support for other
systems as far as I know it will not use wins to resolve gethostbyname
calls.

What are you trying to accomplish?  Maybe there is another solution.

--
Scot L. Harris
webid at cfl.rr.com

I never said all Democrats were saloonkeepers; what I said was all
saloonkeepers were Democrats.