how do I upgrade from Fedora Core 1 to Fedora Core 3...

Marc M linuxr at gmail.com
Sat Jan 8 02:45:50 UTC 2005

On Thu, 06 Jan 2005 23:56:31 -0500, Phil Schaffner
<P.R.Schaffner at ieee.org> wrote:
> On Thu, 2005-01-06 at 23:22 +0100, maeder+rh at mathconsult.ch wrote:
> > > I recently upgraded from FC2 to FC3 using Yum, with little or no difficulty,
> > > thanks to some sage advise found in the link below.
> > >  http://www.brandonhutchinson.com/Upgrading_Red_Hat_Linux_with_yum.html
> >
> > thanks for this link! Ever since I started to use RedHat around 1996 I always
> > wondered why they made you reinstall the OS for every new release instead of
> > updating it with rpm, which was always praised as a tool for keeping systems
> > up-to-date. How silly to write boot floppies or burn CDs if you a have a fine
> > Linux system already up and running. (not to mention the need to maintain all
> > these old releases.)
>
> FC1 -> FC3 may be a bit more problematic (from General freshrpms.net
> discussion list <freshrpms-list at freshrpms.net>)...

> Re: Upgrading from FC1 to FC3
> On Tue, 2004-11-09 at 21:35 -0500, seth vidal wrote:
> > > What does that mean for all the additional freshrpms packages which
> > > (presumably) anaconda doesn't know about?
> >
> > It means your deps will be broken.
> >
> > There's really no good way around it unless you want to update to a
> 2.6
> > kernel and remove the 2.4 kernel then try a yum upgrade from there.
> >
> > I wouldn't recommend it.
> >

> > Anaconda upgrade.
> > then yum update once anaconda is done
> > -sv
>
> and
>
> On Wed, 2004-11-10 at 14:13 -0500, seth vidal wrote:
> > > It would be nice if the extra logic that Anaconda does could be extracted
> > > or modular so we could use it without having to reboot or in most cases
> > > have to be physically available.
> >
> > it's not extra logic.
> >
> > the virtue anaconda has is that it runs completely outside of the
> > system.
> >
> > it can do anything it wants w/o concern of the running system collapsing
> > underneath it.
> >
> > that's how anaconda does all that.
> >
> > -sv
>
> If you have non-Fedora packages or non-rpm-installed components you may
> still have serious dependency problems even after an anaconda upgrade,
> and if you use LVM it will interfere with a yum upgrade, thus the
> frequent advice to do a clean install.  Have seen reports of success
> with FC1 -> FC2 -> FC3 yum upgrades.  If you want to try that route see
>
> http://linux.duke.edu/%7Eskvidal/misc/fc1-fc2-yum-hints.txt
> http://linux.duke.edu/%7Eskvidal/misc/fc2-fc3-update-with-yum.txt
>
> Seth is 'da [yum] man! ;-)
>
> Phil
>

> --

Well, there <are> some gray areas with regards to updating, aren't
there?  For example, someone posted to the list (this or maybe
redhat-install) a few weeks ago, to the effect of, 'what is the
differrence between FC2 that has been yummed to death, and FC3'?  That
is a great question.  Depending on the situation (hardware, kernel
version, recent updates etc), there may be no clear cut answer either.
  I like to think of them as X+ .  Like, I am running FC3+, since I
have changed so much from the base system it isn't even funny.  If I
had to go back to FC3 with a fresh install it would be really weird.

However I don't feel the same way about a new version/release number.
I choose to stick with what I know.  Every now and then I like to be
at 'base' where I see how the OS version is able to perform with
whatever kernel version I happen to be running.  It is more
scienfically pure too, since the system has not been altered
whatsoever in the beginning (for oh, about 2 minutes).   LOL

So that is why I choose to do fresh installs with each new version.
However I don't throw the old out right away either -- usually do a
dual boot so I can have one good system in case there's problems with
the new one.

I haven't yet done the method of copying them to disk, not unless I am
doing kickstart installs.  I may try that sometime just for fun.   To
me it is just easier to burn a cd of everything I need (usually just
/home) and I am ready to install and re-mount to get right back where
I was before, only better.

Marc