scripting rpm installs

Matthew Miller mattdm at mattdm.org
Sat Jan 8 12:34:04 UTC 2005

On Sat, Jan 08, 2005 at 11:10:30AM +0200, Chadley Wilson wrote:
> > With apt or yum, all you need to do is to set up local apt/yum
> > repositories and set up apt/yum accordingly.
> Could you maybe give me a head start on this?
> what apps do I install for this?

For apt, just apt -- use its 'genbasedir' program to create the metadata.
For yum, install and use 'createrepo'.

But what you're trying to do is get updates onto new computers, right?
Running a script to update after installation isn't what I'd do; instead,
rebuild the install CDs with the old packages completely replaced.