Complaints about using this list...

Nifty Hat Mitch mitch48 at sbcglobal.net
Sat Jan 8 13:43:38 UTC 2005

On Wed, Jan 05, 2005 at 07:32:14PM -0500, Marc M wrote:

> > I'm beginning to think that I should configure evolution to sort my
> > emails into topics and get the whole list as individual posts.  I could
> > then search them from within evolution and I could easily reply to
> > them.

Individual posts in a folder is the way to go.
Filters or procmail make it easy to collect
all the traffic from a big list like this into
a single folder.

AND...

> Simple solution to a):  get a gmail account for your lists, they are
> wonderful for being able to search within for strings and such.

Note also that search engines like google also let you
constrain searches to various hosts.  Google has this
magic option.

   Domain Restrict:
   If you know the website you want to search but aren't sure where
   the information is located within that site, you can use Google to
   search only that domain. Do this by entering what you're looking
   for followed by the word "site" and a colon followed by the domain
   name.

This lets you search the archives without a hefty gmail account full
of junk.  Start in google searching for "Fedora list archives" and
then pick one to frame up a search line something like

   ppp gaglebot modem Fedora  site:http://www.redhat.com

There are a number of other sites that host archives of this list
that are searched and indexed.  One interesting trick for those
setting up 'archives' is to dedicate a host name to a list
so that 'site' is more bounded.

--
	T o m  M i t c h e l l
	spam unwanted email.