netgear wireless

Axel Thimm Axel.Thimm at ATrpms.net
Sat Jan 8 14:02:59 UTC 2005

On Fri, Jan 07, 2005 at 11:35:44AM -0500, Johnathan Bailes wrote:
> On Fri, 07 Jan 2005 11:11:27 -0500, David Cary Hart <Fedora at tqmcube.com> wrote:
> >
> > Madwifi has to be compiled from CVS (and works quite well - thank you
> > very much). Axel may have an RPM at atrpms.net.
> >
> > BTW, I have a WGT624 which I am quite please with.
> > Total Quality Management - A Commitment to Excellence
> > http://www.TQMcube.com
> >

> Ok, I feel like a dumbass asking this question but what is the order I
> should use if I choose to go with your rpms instead of my own compiled
> madwifi drivers.
>
> What do I mean?
>
> If I install the new kernel first I just waxed my net connection.

Why, you don't need to reboot yet, you can go on installing all kind
of packages for the new kernel (And don't "upgrade" the kernel, just
"install" the new one, so you have both after a reboot still
available).

If you use apt or yum, just try:

apt-get install madwifi-kmdl-<uname -r of the desired kernel here>
apt-get install madwifi

E.g.

apt-get install madwifi-kmdl-2.6.9-1.724_FC3

(this would even pull in kernel-2.6.9-1.724_FC3 of the proper arch and
install it prior to madwifi, in case it isn't already installed.

> If I install the madwifi driver first doesn't it go in the old kernel
> tree and then when I get the new kernel that gets knocked to the side.
>
> So, what is the order of installation when I get prompted that a new
> kernel update is pending?

The order is taken care of rpm and the dependency resolvers, don't
worry. :)

You only need to explicitly ask for a kmdl of the desired kernel
version/flavour (arch is autodetected)
--
Axel.Thimm at ATrpms.net