FC3 x86_64 - problem with scsi boot drive and sata drives

Donald E. Oinen oinen at frontiernet.net
Sat Jan 8 15:09:52 UTC 2005

I am able to boot properly with supplied 2.6.9-1.667_FC3 kernel.

The system recognized both scsi drives naming them sda and sdb. Grub
then boots properly from hd0,1. This is a dual boot system with Windows
64 in the first partition.

I cannot boot with either the ...1.681 or ...1.724 kernels. The system
cannot find the root directory ("/") or for that matter the drives
themselves. The error messages only appear on the console.

I have rebuilt the 2.6.9 kernel from source using the default single
processor configuration file and experince the same behavior.

I both cases the system ignores the scsi drives and names the sata
drives as sda and sdb. The scsi drives are not recognized.

I have a Gigabyte K8NPRO motherboard.
I have a DVD reader and a DVD writer attached to IDE but no hard
drives.

I am operating the sata drives in their base configuration.

I have a LSI Logic /Symbios Logic 53c1010 Ultra3 SCSI Adapter with
Fujitsu and WDigital drives.

The system is set to boot from the cdrom and then scsi.

I have googled and read as much documentation as I can find and have
found many references to problems with scsi and sata. I speculate that
one of the fixes to get sata to work may have broken scsi but have no
idea how to fix the problem.

Any help will be greatly appreciated,

Don