scripting rpm installs

Robert Locke rlocke at ralii.com
Sat Jan 8 17:12:07 UTC 2005

On Sat, 2005-01-08 at 11:41, Chadley Wilson wrote:
> On Saturday 08 January 2005 18:27, Robert Locke wrote:
> > On Sat, 2005-01-08 at 03:06, Chadley Wilson wrote:
> > > Greetings
> > >
> <snipped>
> >
> > Chad,
> >
> > Couple of suggestions.
> >
> > 1) Have you looked at -F as an option for rpm?  I have an errata
> > directory that I carry around.  Problem is, an rpm -Uvh $erratadir/*.rpm
> > would not only upgrade everything it would also install everything else
> > from that directory on me.  After I do an interactive or kickstart
> > install, I simply point to that directory and do an rpm -Fvh
> > ${erratadir}/*.rpm
> >
> > 2) This leads me to my second thought.  Why not just put a wildcard in
> > for the version number?  For example, rpm -Uvh
> > $packagedir/packagename-*.arch.rpm.  Remember that with rpm you can
> > specify multiple filenames (either with a wildcard or put a space in
> > between names).  Then during the "pre-flight check" rpm will resequence
> > based on pre-req needs.
> >
> > HTH,
> >
> > --Rob
>
> Hi Rob
> Thank you for the response.
> In my script I have a small issue which I can't seem to solve, when running
> rpm -Uvh package1.rpm package2.rpm
> the space between the two rpms somehow is not working.
> from the command line it works but not in the script.
> the space between them, seem to separate the first part
> rpm -Uvh package1.rpm
> and then tried to execute the 2nd as a command?

This sounds problematic, and sounds like there is some other issue at
work here.  As an example, here is a set of lines from one of my scripts
that works just fine:

> echo "Dealing with Update 1 new dependencies..."
> rpm -Uvh jaf*.rpm javamail*.rpm junit*.rpm elfutils*.rpm binutils*.rpm
> echo "Dealing with Update 2 new dependencies..."
> rpm -Uvh laus-libs*.rpm
> echo "Freshening the remaining packages..."
> rpm -Fvh *.rpm

I would want to try to track down why it is that the space is being
interpreted as a new line or semi-colon.  Are you putting any quoting
characters on the line in question?  Are there any variable
substitutions that are causing problems?

> I have tried the wildcard setup too, but I am then force to use the nodeps
> option on each line, while this works I get alot of negative output.
> I have tried the .rpmmacro nut I am not sure if I am supposed to do something
> to make it active. since placing it in the root directory and starting to rpm
> -ivh simply doesnt work.

In this case, I think we are mixing problems.  --nodeps and the use of
wildcards should not really be a cause and effect.  The fact that you
are being forced in to using separate lines might be more of an issue
than the wildcards.....

<snip>

--Rob