how to configure NetworkManagerInfo

jim lawrence fedorajim at gmail.com
Sat Jan 8 17:58:35 UTC 2005

On Sat, 08 Jan 2005 13:20:45 -0400, Patrick Boutilier
<boutilpj at ednet.ns.ca> wrote:
> jim lawrence wrote:
> > from what i havbe read from other posts, networkmanger doesn't use the
> > configuration files from etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/your device .
> > if that is the case, how or where can I configure the correct
> > configuration files for network manger to i can use it?  as of now, if
> > i start the network manager to run level 5 and type in the terminal,
> > NetworkManagerInfo on my toolbar, i get a icon that looks like a sonar
> > waving around.  Not to mention, i get booted off my connection when i
> > start the process.  when i click it, i get a message that the device
> > is not configured and gives me a error, and locks up my notebook.  I
> > read the bugs reports and there is no solution for this from what i
> > read. So what is the solution to my situtation?
> > how i connect Now.....
> > As of now  i have to boot up not activating any devices, open a
> > terminal window, type in iwconfig eth1 essid XXXXXXXXXXXXX key
> > XXXXXXXXXXXXX   go and open the Network Device Control under System
> > Tools click the activate button switch back to the terminal hit enter
> > and in a few seconds, i'm connected.
>

> Have you tried just putting:
>
> ESSID=XXXXXXXX
> KEY=XXXXXXXXXX
>
> in /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-eth1 instead of using
> NetworkManager?
>
> --

-- just tried it the essid was already there
i ADDED KEY=XXXXXXXXXXX
rebooted, and tried to activate it again and got this error
" checking /sbin/dhclient-script   continuing with defaults  "

   then no connection.  i then restarted the network
and still couldn't connect the way i've done so far,  rebooted and now
connected.
here is my ifcfg-eth1 file
# Please read /usr/share/doc/initscripts-*/sysconfig.txt
# for the documentation of these parameters.
IPV6INIT=no
ONBOOT=no
USERCTL=yes
PEERDNS=yes
GATEWAY=
TYPE=Wireless
DEVICE=eth1
HWADDR=XX:XX:XX:XX:XX:Xx
BOOTPROTO=dhcp
NETMASK=
DHCP_HOSTNAME=
IPADDR=
DOMAIN=
ESSID=HomeWireless
CHANNEL=11
MODE=Auto
RATE=11M
KEY=XXXXXXXXXXXXx
if i try to activate on boot mt system hangs  til i reboot again

Still Learning Linux
Still HaTE Microsoft