installation problems

Andrew Blechman blechman at pha.jhu.edu
Sat Jan 8 20:26:34 UTC 2005

Hello.
I am relatively new to Linux and decided that I would use my old computer
to play around with it.  It is an AMD K6-3 400MHz machine.  I have been
trying to install various Linux platforms, and none of them work!  I have
used Redhat in the past so I decided to try Fedora Core 3; but when I
insert the CD it gives me the boot screen, and after pressing the enter
key it just goes to a black screen with a flashing curser.  I'm pretty
sure the CD's are okay (I downloaded them) since I tried the same thing on
my newer computer and it went to the installation page without a hitch.

Does anyone have any ideas?  I'm starting to get very frustrated with all
the failed attempts.  I've tried Knoppix and SuSE, and they don't work
either.  The only one that worked was DSL, but I'd rather have something
a little better.  Also, DSL seems to only be a CD boot, and I wanted to
put it on my hard drive.

Thanks to anyone who can help me!